I have joined up with more than 30 AMAZING bloggers to tackle the challenge of creating a patriotic project or recipe without using the traditional red, white and blue color scheme! How fun is that?! Starting two weeks ago and running through July 4th, more than 30 projects will be shared on some of the most awesome blogs around. I can’t wait to see all of the inspirational projects and hope YOU will find some inspiration as well.
For my project, I started off with a brainstorm of things that were distinctly American. One of my favorites is the Statue of Liberty, so I picked her for this challenge.
I started off with a 10″ x 20″ board that I had the hardware store cut for me. If you just need a couple cuts, sometimes it is faster to have them do it than to drag out the tools! I hand sanded the edges to round them off, then added a few coats of watered down cream paint. My goal was to make sure the wood grain was still visible.
I played with a design in the Silhouette software and figured how to make the ending of the Pledge of Allegiance wrap around Lady Liberty! The font I used was AR Bonnie – the same one I used for my libations party bucket!
This project was the first time I’ve ever truly needed the larger Cameo model cutter instead of my Portrait. Because the Portrait can’t cut 10″ wide, we had to piece the vinyl stencil together. It still worked, but took a LOT longer than it could have.
Once the stencil was secure, I used RUST-OLEUM Universal Metallic spray paint in Flat Burnished Amber. To make sure all my lines stayed really crisp I did several VERY light coats. The trigger on the RUST-OLEUM Universal line makes it so easy to get even coverage in light coats.
I couldn’t be happier with the way this project turned out. And it just happens to look awesome in my new slightly mod dining room!
When I signed up for this NO red, white, or blue hop, I was pretty nervous. But now I am glad I accepted the challenge! It was a ton of fun and now I’ve got a piece of patriotic art that I could even leave displayed all year round.
Now, before you head out, be sure to check out the AMAZING projects that were shared the last three weeks AND be sure to enter for your chance to win a $310 Target Gift Card by using the Rafflecopter at the end of the post!
- Patriotic Vignette by House by Hoff
- 4th of July Party Printables by The Blissful Be
- Statue of Liberty Pledge Art by A Prudent Life
- Star Spangled Entry by Finding Silver Pennies
- Stars & Stripes Tea Party by My Creative Days
- 4th of July Subway Art by Just a Girl and Her Blog
- Canadian Map Art by Inspire Me Heather
- Star Spangled Door Decor by 3 Little Greenwoods
- Patriotic Mason Jars and Free Printable by Place of My Taste
- Neutral Pallet Flag by View From the Fridge
- USA String Art by Sypsie Designs
- Lady Liberty Art by Delineate Your Dwelling
- Planked American Flag by Maison de Pax
- Fireworks Drink Stirrers by Homey Oh My!
- Mounted Declaration of Independence by Everyday Enchanting
- Land of the Free Because of the Brave Printable by Black and White Obsession
- Fireworks Table Runner by One Krieger Chick
- Chalkboard Bunting by The Dolen Diaries
- Vintage USA Framed Art by Made to Be a Momma
- Let Freedom Ring Utensil Caddy by Tiny Sidekick
- Wood Slice Canadiana Coasters
1. USA Map by Paper & Fox
2. Let Freedom Ring Gold Art by Life on Virginia Street
3. Wood Shim Flag by Designer Trapped in a Lawyer’s Body
4. Corrugated Metal Star Art by Addicted 2 DIY
5. Neutral Nautical Pallet Flag by Southern State of Mind
Post linked up at: Take a Look Tuesday, The Makers, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Whimsy Wednesday, Work It Wednesday, Link It or Lump It, Wow Me Wednesday, The DIYers, Turn It Up Tuesday, Do Tell Tuesday